This post contains affiliate links.
I get a lot of questions about how I make the intro videos and bumps that I use as part of my HYPE broadcasts. In the spirit of sharing information and helping the HYPE community grow, I’m putting together a series of HYPE livestreams that take a look at a variety of apps and services that you can use to create your own intros and step up your HYPE game!
For these reviews, we’ll be looking specifically at the pros and cons of using these services to make content for the HYPE app.
Table of Contents:
Ditty.it is an app that allows you to type in any words you want, and a voice will sing them to an assortment of different tunes. That means that you can write yourself a short jingle and use it as the intro for your show or as a transition between segments. This app is one of the quickest and easiest ways to make your own custom HYPE intros!
Pros of using Ditty.it for HYPE intro videos and bumps
- Cost. Ditty.it is free to download and use, and has a nice variety of tunes available for free. You can also purchase additional songs, either individually or in themed, discounted packages.
- Easy to use. Just type in your lyrics, pick a tune, and Ditty.it does the rest. You can use their tools to further customize the video with your own background, or export it with a stock background.
- Layout fits the screen well for HYPE. Despite the videos only being available in square format, the animated text crops nicely when played at full screen during your broadcast. The exception is the very end of each video, but some tricky camera work can minimize that issue.
- Easy to find in camera roll. Each video starts with a frame showing the first few words of your song; this text makes it easy to find the right video on your camera roll during your broadcast.
- They accept new song requests. While there is no guarantee the song you want will become available, it can’t hurt to try!
Cons of using Ditty.it for HYPE intro videos and bumps
- Can’t remove watermark. A majority of the apps I use offer an option to remove the watermark for a small, one-time fee, however Ditty.it currently does not.
- Limited control over animations. The app has a variety of fonts, colors, and stock backgrounds for your videos, however you can’t pick and choose. The only way to change the font and background combination is to hit the “back” button and regenerate another combination randomly until you are happy with it.
- Can be glitchy. On multiple different occasions I have experienced error messages when trying to preview or export videos.
Ditty.it in summary…
While it does have some limitations and bugs, Ditty.it is a great option if you are looking to make quick, easy intros for free.
For ultra-slick, super-pro videos that take no technical skills to create, RenderForest is a fantastic option! In just a few minutes, you can whip up intros for your HYPE broadcasts that look like they were made by a professional production studio.
Pros of using RenderForest for HYPE intro videos and bumps
- Easy-to-use interface. The RenderForest website is very intuitive to use, even for a novice. It’s simple enough for anyone to learn!
- Ability to fine-tune. This is an important one for HYPE use! Since many video services and apps, including this one, are limited to a 16×9 aspect ratio, and HYPE broadcasts are vertical rather than horizontal, it’s important to make sure that your videos look right when you play them back during your broadcasts. Luckily, you can download a free, low-res, watermarked version of your video to test it in the app and get it just right before you commit to buying the HD version. The RenderForest website saves a complete history of all your video projects so it’s easy to come back and fine-tune anything that isn’t quite perfect.
- Speed. It’s very quick and easy to make your intro videos – just pick a template, select a few customization options, and export. If you don’t have a lot of spare time to create your intro videos, or you need something last-minute for an upcoming broadcast, you can still pull off something that looks completely polished.
- Lots of options. They offer a nice, wide variety of video templates, and each comes with its own set of customizable features. Add your logo, change colors, select various effects and pick just the right music to create an intro video that expresses exactly what your show is about!
- Music that’s just the right length. The tunes available on RenderForest are the exact perfect length for the video templates, so you don’t have to mess with tweaking things to accommodate songs that are too long or too short. (In some of the other apps I use, this is one of my biggest complaints, so it’s very refreshing to not have that problem!)
Cons of using RenderForest for HYPE intro videos and bumps
- Cost. I’ll be up-front on this one: RenderForest isn’t a bargain basement kind of outlet. Don’t get me wrong – I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for, and I think that the variety, quality, and features of RenderForest make it a good value, but for some of you it just might not be in your budget. There are, however, a few ways to defray the cost! First, if you are planning to make lots of videos, consider purchasing an annual subscription rather than purchasing videos individually. A single HD video starts at a cost of $19.99; billed annually, subscriptions start as low as $7.99/month. If you foresee yourself using the service frequently, a subscription will provide significant savings. Second, consider getting a plan that includes a reseller license. This allows you to create intro videos to sell to other HYPE users, or on sites like Fiverr. Creating and selling videos for others could even potentially become a source of a little extra income, rather than being an expense! Finally, you can get a coupon code for a discount on your video download by sharing RenderForest on your social media accounts or website. Check out the RenderForest blog for more information on how to earn a coupon code!
- No ability to change aspect ratio. As noted above, the videos are all limited to a 16×9 aspect ratio, so you’ll need to take special care and consideration when using it to create content for HYPE. (This isn’t a deal-breaker, but is a notable drawback when using the service for this specific purpose.)
RenderForest in summary…
RenderForest is an amazing tool that allows users to quickly and easily create professional-quality intro videos. While the videos it generates are not the same aspect ratio as a HYPE broadcast, the templates are easy to tweak to make them work in this context. The cost may be prohibitive to some users, but the variety of templates and customization options makes a RenderForest subscription a good value for anyone who plans to use it frequently.5